Generating Impact from Research in Marketing
The application deadline has now passed.
The Academy of Marketing is delighted to announce a joint Impact Funding Initiative with The Marketing Trust. Total Funding of up to £60K over 3 years will be provided by the Marketing Trust to advance impact from research in marketing, with awards of up to £4K available. Applications for funding will be administered by the Academy of Marketing to ensure that projects meet the Academy’s rigorous criteria for research excellence. This is an exciting initiative for the Academy that will clearly help to deliver on the requirements of its membership to demonstrate the impact of their work (2021 Research Excellence Framework). The collaboration is also beneficial for the Marketing Trust which has a remit to ‘make grants of financial assistance to charitable, volunteer, educational and other organisations for the purposes of training their staff, volunteers, young people and the general public in any or all aspects of marketing understanding and/or execution, and to appreciate the role of marketing in today’s society’.
Within the REF2021 framework, impact is broadly defined as knowledge generated by our research that contributes to, influences and/or benefits society, economy, our environment or culture. As such, impact extends beyond engagement and is wide-ranging and varied. Some of the key areas of research impact include:
- Societal or social impacts;
- Economic impacts;
- Environmental impact;
- Impact on broader health and wellbeing;
- Impacts of policy (including influences and changes);
- Technological developments; and/or
- Legal impact.
The aim of these impact grants is to support AM members in developing wider impact from their research beyond academia. We welcome applications for impact projects from all areas of marketing. We expect projects to have the potential for significant impact across one or more of the key areas listed above. Impact project proposals should clearly demonstrate the excellence of the underpinning research on which the impact case is built (‘excellent’ research within the REF framework means that the quality of the research is at least equivalent to publication(s) in two-star journals and produced during the period from 1 January 2000 to 31 December 2020) (REF 2021 ). Therefore, details should be provided on the publications that are linked to research (at least one should be accepted).
The expected outcomes of these Impact Grants are to:
- Advance the wider understanding of the role of marketing in today’s society and the publics’ understanding of any or all aspects of marketing;
- Improve the wider impact of Academy members research;
- Disseminate Academy members marketing research to a wider audience of stakeholders;
- Raise the profile and awareness of the research being undertaken by academy members; and
- Help academics establish a track record for impact and develop materials that could support them in building Impact Case Studies for the Research Excellence Framework.
For the full details about the funding, including the Terms & Conditions, please download the Marketing Trust and the Academy of Marketing Impact Funding Initiative 2019 document. All applications must meet the requirements given in this document.
Proposals should be made using the Online Funding System. A list of the questions is available in the
MT AM Example Impact Proposal Form 2019
Applicants should also refer to the AMRC Research Cost Guidelines when preparing their budget.
- 4 March 2019 – The Online Funding System will open for submissions. A link will be provided from this webpage.
- 8 April 2019 – Noon (GMT) deadline for submission of proposals via the Online Funding System.
- 3 July 2019 – Announcement of the successful applicants at the Academy of Marketing Conference dinner, being held at Regent’s University London.
- July 2020 – A presentation on the activities undertaken and impact achieved to date will need to be presented at the Academy of Marketing’s 2020 annual conference, being held at Edge Hill University.
- 27 September 2020 – deadline for final report.
- 1 December 2020 – deadline for the final monetary claim.
Queries may be addressed to Anne Foy, Academy of Marketing Administrative Office at email@example.com
Please note, this funding is separate from the 2019 Academy of Marketing Research Funding process. Details on that funding initiative will be available from the AM Research Funding webpage from 1 March 2019.