Generating Impact from Research in Marketing
Marketing Trust and the Academy of Marketing Impact Funding Initiative 2020
Closing date for applications is noon (GMT) on 16 March 2020.
The Academy of Marketing is delighted to announce a joint Impact Funding Initiative with the Marketing Trust. Total Funding of up to £60K over 3 years will be provided by the Marketing Trust to advance impact from research in marketing, with awards of up to £4K available. Applications for funding will be administered by the Academy of Marketing to ensure that projects meet the Academy’s rigorous criteria for research excellence. This is an exciting initiative for the Academy that will clearly help to deliver on the requirements of its membership to demonstrate the impact of their work (2021 Research Excellence Framework). The collaboration is also beneficial for the Marketing Trust which has a remit to ‘make grants of financial assistance to charitable, volunteer, educational and other organisations for the purposes of training their staff, volunteers, young people and the general public in any or all aspects of marketing understanding and/or execution, and to appreciate the role of marketing in today’s society’.
Within the REF2021 framework, impact is broadly defined as knowledge generated by our research that contributes to influences and/or benefits society, economy, our environment or culture. As such, impact extends beyond engagement and is wide-ranging and varied. Some of the key areas of research impact include:
- Societal or social impacts;
- Economic impacts;
- Environmental impact;
- Impact on broader health and wellbeing;
- Impacts of policy (including influences and changes);
- Technological developments; and/or
- Legal impact.
The aim of these impact grants is to support AM members in developing wider impact from their research beyond academia. We welcome applications for impact projects from all areas of marketing. We expect projects to have the potential for significant impact across one or more of the key areas listed above. Impact project proposals should clearly demonstrate the excellence of the underpinning research on which the impact case is built (‘excellent’ research within the REF framework means that the quality of the research is at least equivalent to publication(s) in two-star journals and produced during the period from 1 January 2000 to 31 December 2020) (REF 2021)(1). Therefore, details should be provided on the publications that are linked to research (at least one should be accepted).
The expected outcomes of these Impact Grants are to:
- To advance the wider understanding of the role of marketing in today’s society and the publics’ understanding of any or all aspects of marketing;
- Improve the wider impact of Academy members research;
- Disseminate Academy members marketing research to a wider audience of stakeholders;
- Raise the profile and awareness of the research being undertaken by academy members; and
- Help academics establish a track record for impact and develop materials that could support them in building Impact Case Studies for the Research Excellence Framework.
Queries may be addressed in the first instance to Anne Foy, Academy of Marketing Administrative Office at email@example.com
All applications must meet the requirements given in this document:
MT AM Impact Funding Information 2020
It is a condition of the funding that a presentation detailing the impact achieved during the year and any ongoing impact efforts (2) in relation to the grant be given at the July 2021 Academy of Marketing Annual Conference. An amount equal to the conference fee for one person from each successful application will be provided for attendance at the 2021 Academy of Marketing Annual Conference (other expenses for conference attendance will need to be met by the attendee). This amount will be in addition to the funds requested in the research proposal. Successful applicants must submit a final report (maximum 4000 words) to Professor Lisa O’Malley, Chair of the Academy of Marketing Research Sub-Committee by Friday September 24th 2021.
Each proposal will be independently assessed by two reviewers, at least one of whom is a subject specialist. The final selection of proposals to be funded will be made by the members of the AM Research Sub-Committee. Successful applicants for the funding will be announced at the Academy of Marketing Conference in July 2020.
- 15 January 2020 – Full details of the funding process and how to submit a proposal will be made available on the Academy of Marketing website www.academyofmarketing.org
- 17 February 2020 – The Online Funding System will open for submissions.
- 16 March 2020 – Noon (GMT) deadline for submission of proposals via the online system.
- 8 July 2020 – Announcement of the successful applicants at the Academy of Marketing Conference AGM, being held at Edge Hill University.
- July 2021 A presentation on the activities undertaken and impact achieved to date will need to be presented at the Academy of Marketing’s 2021 annual conference, being held at University of Huddersfield.
- 24 September 2021– deadline for final report.
- 1 December 2021 – deadline for the final monetary claim.
(1) REF 2021 – https://www.ref.ac.uk/publications/initial-decisions-on-the-research-excellence-framework-2021-ref-201701/
(2) Impact projects are expected to be completed within the year, in terms of the funded activities undertaken, but that the impact being achieved, and measurement of this impact, may still be ongoing at the point of presentation and, in exceptional circumstances, at report submission.
Congratulations to the successful projects for 2019:
Emma Banister – SMEs and Shared Parental Leave (SPL): Impacting policy & employers, Alliance Manchester Business School
Claire McCamley, Fiona Cheetham, Brendan Canavan and John Lever – Conversations with local tourism stakeholders: visualising destination Kirklees, University of Huddersfield